Thursday, February 4, 2010

Grunt work

I tend to make fun of people in the background of exercise DVDs and contestants on famous (unrealistic) weight-loss competition shows when they're back there doing squats, lifting weights, throwing kettlebells around and simultaneously sounding like they are birthing large watermelons.

RAAARRRHGHGHHH!!!

GUUUULALLLGGGHHHAAAA!

MMMUURRRRGGHAAGH!


I mean, come on (I say to myself as I sit idly on my couch, feet up, ice cream in hand). Who actually grunts and yells like that through a workout? I've been through a few tough workouts in my day (buffs fingernails on lapel) and I've never felt the need to vocalize in such an absurd manner. Don't these people have any dignity?

Well, consider me humbled.

I completed day 4 of the 30 Day Shred last night and, to put it bluntly, it made me grunt. Well, I made me grunt. It helped, it really did. The first circuit I always find to be the toughest (not sure if it's designed that way, or I just take a while to get into my groove). The strength portion of the first circuit consists of push ups, followed by squats combined with a dumbbell lift from your ears above your head as you come up. I admit, the past three days I quit doing the raises about halfway through and just do squats, because after two rounds of attempting to do push-ups my arms and shoulders are just ready to quit. This time I decided to try just a little bit harder. Push past that wall of discomfort and really try.

Next thing I know, I'm vocalizing my way through the lifts... and actually doing them.

So sorry for doubting you, background DVD and reality TV star people. My sincere apologies.

2 comments:

  1. Tennis players are masters of grunting, too. I love watching the matches with the Brit commentary -- which is so very, very upper crust -- interspersed with loud grunts. Very entertaining. Congrats on completing Day 4, that rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh noes! I got this DVD to try it out and I too mock the grunting!

    ReplyDelete