Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Updatey McUpdaterson

Well, I'm still trucking along. Progress in January was nil (well, net loss of -0.2lbs, my final January WI was 206.0). The good news is something seems to have come and bit me in the butt since then, as I've been trucking along rather nicely for the past few days. Of course, the first few days are easy days for me. The problems come after a week or two.

Spurred on by thoughts of having to publicly display myself in a bathing suit in approximately 6 weeks, I've started the 30 Day Shred and have completed 3 days of it so far (1/10th of the way there!). I actually really enjoy it. I get bored easily with videos - yoga, yawwwn. strength training, too slow, yawwwwn. just cardio? well dear lord I can't even keep up so I get discouraged after 5 minutes. The circuit aspect of 30DS seems to be what is keeping me interested. The strength portion consists of slow, repeated movements (and they BURN). when I've about had enough of that, though, it's time to drop the weights and pursue some cardio - simple, straightforward moves that even the most uncoordinated buffoon (me) can follow (jumping jacks, jump rope, butt kicks, boxing). After a few minutes when I'm tired of jumping, we get to move on to ab work. In the end, it's the variety that's kept me doing it so far. Also knowing that once I feel tired of level 1 I have two more levels to try keeps me a little goal-oriented, which helps. It's like a video game. Gotta beat level 1 so we can see what level 2 holds in store.

Exercise has had the added (obvious) benefit of making me want to stay on track with food. Why undo all that hard work I just did? To this end, working out in the evenings is really working in my favor, as evenings are the time of day I struggle the most, largely due to boredom. So I come home, eat dinner, wait for everything to settle, workout, and then my desire to eat mechanism is pretty much shut off for the day. The next big obstacle will be this weekend - I am potentially snowed in YET AGAIN, and trust me, it gets boring in my apartment all alone.

Now, off to find a snack. Then the mile walk home, followed by some snow shoveling and after that, yep, day 4.

1 comment:

  1. Great job! It sounds like circuit training is perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete